Natural and herbal remedies for the treatment of dry, itchy, flaky, or oily scalp condition problems.
Select a Topic
I received my order yesterday, which is FANTASTIC! I also wanted to say thank you. I sent an email to Ask our Experts, and I was surprised at the speed [of the response]. Thanks so much for the excellent service!
–Rachel Irving, Singapore
What affects the Condition of the Scalp?
For years many of us may have heard the importance of hair health, yet the scalp is often over-looked as an important area of the body that needs it’s fair share of attention too. While the scalp is a pretty ‘tough’ structure, and can take a lot of wear and tear (when brushing or tugging hair for example), the scalp can also become sensitive, flaky (Dandruff) or too oily (oily scalp) often leading to scalp acne.
What Causes Scalp Condition Problems?
Problems on the scalp may be caused by a number of conditions,
- Eczema, an itchy swelling and redness of the skin
- Allergic reactions, such as to shampoos, hair sprays, or food
- Trichotillomania, a condition in which a person pulls out his or her hair due to psychological problems
- Anorexia nervosa, an eating disorder that causes people to not eat enough to maintain a normal weight
- Psoriasis, a skin condition that causes red scaly sores
- Moles, which are usually harmless, but in rare cases, can turn into melanoma, a serious skin cancer
- Cancer of the skin
- Ringworm, an infection of the skin caused by a fungus
- Head lice
- Physical or emotional stress
- Autoimmune disorders, in which a person''s immune system attacks his or her own body.
- Medications, including vitamin A, oral contraceptives, or chemotherapy
- Trauma or injury, such as insect bites, cuts, or burns
- Bacterial infections
- HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, which can cause infections and rashes
Help for Scalp Conditions
Many herbal and homeopathic remedies have been formulated with specific ingredients to help soothe and naturally hydrate the scalp. Chamomile Essential Oil has been used for centuries to strengthen the capillaries that supply blood to the scalp and hair follicles and improve elasticity, while Rosemary Essential Oil has excellent astringent properties, also encouraging hair growth.
Ginkgo biloba helps to restore the functioning of the circulatory system and improves blood flow to the brain and all parts of the body. Equisetum arvense is rich in minerals, especially silica, which is an important part of all connective tissues in the body, as well as hair and nails.